Rajma Masala is a famous North Indian lightly spiced dish made with red kidney beans and different dry spices
and the key ingredient being Rajma Masala powder.
Rajma Masala recipe is usually eaten with roti or rice but generally it is eaten with rice across North India. It can
be eaten as breakfast ,lunch or dinner , anytime you like. This Punjabi dish is an authentic recipe and a standout
amongst the most enjoyed dishes across north.
Serve rajma masala on a plate of steamed rice or jeera rice and you will love it. Do try this simple and delicious
And talking about nutrition,red kidney beans are rich in proteins. Lets proceed to the recipe for rajma masala.
Preparation | Total | Servings
5 MIN 1 HR 5 MIN 2
★ Tomato’s Chopped – 3 Cups (Chopped)
★ Onion – 3 Cups (Chopped)
★ Rajma (Kidney Beans) – 2 Cups
★ Garlic – 2 Tbsp (Chopped)
★ Green Chili’s – 3 (Slit)
★ Vegetable Oil – 3 Tbsp
★ Water – 4 Cups
★ Salt – 2 Tsp
★ Turmeric Powder – ½ Tsp
★ Rajma Masala – 3 Tsp
★ Hing (Asafoetida) Powder – ½ Tsp
★ Cumin – 2 Tsp
★ Ginger julienned – 1 inch
To add after Rajma are cooked
★ Amchur (Dried mango) – 1 Tsp
★ Garam Masala – 1.5 Tsp
★ Ghee – 2 Tbsp
★ Cilantro- 3 Tbsp
The process of making Rajma Masala-
1. Soak 2 Cups Rajma in 3 cup of water over night or if nothing else 6 Hours.
2. Take a Pressure cooker on Medium to High Heat.
3. Add Oil , Once the oil is warm, add Jeera and Hing.
4. Once the Jeera begins to crackle include Onions.
5. Cook Onions till they begin to turn Translucent. (Around 2 to 3 minutes).
6. Add Ginger, Garlic and Green Chillies.
7. Cook till raw scent of Ginger and Garlic Disappears. (About 2 minutes).
8. Now Add Tomatoes and Salt. Cook till Tomatoes are delicate and Mushy. Around 4 minutes.
9. Add Kashmiri Red Chili Powder, Turmeric and Rajma Masala.
10. Cook the entire blend for an additional 2 minutes.
11. Now include Water and Soaked Rajma.
12. Mix everything admirably.
13. Now Turn the fire to Medium Low fire and Close the pressure cooker Lid.
14. Cook for 7 to 10 Whistles (7 Litre cooker, May require more whistles for littler Cookers).
15. After every other whistle shake the cooker a bit painstakingly so the Rajma Moves around in the cooker and dont
stick to the base and Burn.
16. After the whistle DON’T OPEN THE COOKER. Give it a chance to depressurize on its own.
17. After opening the Cooker, Stir and Mash some Rajma Beans to the Cooker walls. Rajma Beans ought to be
delicate and you ought not get any protection while squashing them
18. Add , Amchur, Garam Masala and Ghee.
19. Mix well. If the consistency of Rajma isn’t thick and its runny at that point turn the fire to low, Mash some more
Rajma and Cook for 5 minutes on low.
20. Add Cilantro and Serve.